Rev. James Harlan is an Episcopalian priest in Palm Beach Florida. And in this interview I was eager to get behind the scenes to know more about what it’s like to be a priest, how they think about performance, and what it’s like to be in a job where people project an image upon you.
Here are some highlights:
• James as a priest, and I as a motivational speaker share SOOOOO much in common.
• James works (preaches) without notes. Mind blown.
• People project an image upon priests. People also project images upon motivational speakers. It’s an honor. And an obligation. And you need to take it seriously.
• I was delighted how I asked many questions expecting a secular answer. But James consistently said, “Actually, I see that as a religious question.” So interesting to see the way this very smart man’s brain works.
• James is VERY good at his job. He’s also a deep feeler.
Note: Just AFTER we stopped recording, a very cool (and sad) thing happened. James got a message that a member of his church was very very ill. James was visibly shaken…and let me know he needed to go to the hospital to be with the family. It was touching; and it was proof to me that James is in the right job.
Well done James Harlan!!!